Two hundred intellectuals and civil society activists, as well as some thirty associations, in the Maghreb and in the North African diaspora in Europe, have made public a petition denouncing the assassination attempt against Salman Rushdie, entitled ‘’We refuse to allow the crime to be committed in our name’’.
Here is the full verbatim:
We, organisations, associations and independent personalities sharing with all humanity the universal values of life, equality between human beings, fundamental freedoms of peoples, groups and individuals without discrimination or exclusion;
Faced with the barbarity that befell the writer Salman Rushdie on 12 August 2022, thirty years after he was put to death by order of the Ayatollah Khomeini, on the grounds of blasphemy and violation of the sacred;
We hope that he will live and that his pen will not dry up.
We consider it our duty to denounce the odious aggression committed against him in the name of a disfigured Islam, which can only satisfy its bloodthirsty followers through hatred, blood, death and chaos.
We will not remain silent about these infamies committed in the name of Islam, a civilisational heritage common to all humanity, which admits neither mediator nor church. We refuse to mix our culture, our human values and our names with these furious people who sow fear and dishonour, silencing with the sword and crime any discordant voice, any free thought, any cultural creation, any innovative breath, any difference and diversity.
We have fought this same battle in our countries so that freedom of conscience, thought, religion, worship, expression, literary, cultural and artistic creation are recognised and respected. We will continue to fight this battle everywhere and will not give in to the regression that threatens and the hate speech that is spreading.
List of Signatories:
– ACTING FOR CHANGE AND DEMOCRACY IN ALGERIA ACDA
– “WE ALL” ASSOCIATION
– KEF WOMEN AND CITIZENSHIP ASSOCIATION
– STREET ART ASSOCIATION
– NACHAZ ASSOCIATION
– TUNISIAN ASSOCIATION FOR THE DEFENSE OF INDIVIDUAL FREEDOMS (ADLI)
– TUNISIAN ASSOCIATION FOR THE DEFENSE OF UNIVERSITY VALUES (ATDV)
– TUNISIAN ASSOCIATION OF DEMOCRATIC WOMEN (ATFD)
– VIGILANCE ASSOCIATION FOR DEMOCRACY AND CIVIL STATUS
– BEITY FOR WOMEN
– CERES EDITIONS
– MOROCCAN COALITION FOR CLIMATE JUSTICE
– COLLECTIVE ASSOCIATION FOR THE OBSERVATION OF ELECTIONS
– VIGILANCE COMMITTEE FOR DEMOCRACY IN TUNISIA – BELGIUM
– COMMITTEE FOR THE RESPECT OF FREEDOMS AND HUMAN RIGHTS (CRLDHT)
– E-JOUSSOUR MAGHREB-MASHREK
– N’AOURA ASSOCIATION OF BELGIUM
– SOS MIGRANTS – BELGIUM
– EURO-MEDITERRANEAN MIGRATION AND DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EMCEMO, NETHERLANDS)
– FEDERATION OF TUNISIAN PUBLISHERS
– FEDERATION OF TUNISIAN CITIZENS OF THE TWO BANKS (FTCR)
– MOROCCO ALTERNATIVES FORUM
– FREE SIGHT ASSOCIATION TUNISIA
– TAWHIDA BEN SHEIKH GROUP
– JOUSSOUR TUNISIA
– TUNISIAN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENSE LEAGUE (LTDH)
– MOROCCAN OBSERVATORY OF PUBLIC FREEDOMS
– NATIONAL OBSERVATORY FOR THE DEFENSE OF THE CIVILIAN CHARACTER OF THE STATE
– EL AMEL ETTOUNSI OUTLOOK
– WORLD PSYCHOLOGIST TUNISIA